Description of Services
For the Better Business Department
The Better Business Department was established in the early 1970s as a division of the Venice Area Chamber of Commerce to service local area businesses and consumers:
- Assist the chamber in the screening of new membership applicants
- Disseminate membership referrals to promote and encourage patronage of chamber members to consumers
- Provide a business complaint processing service for consumers regarding chamber and non-chamber businesses.
- Advise new business prospectors or eager entrepreneurs on area business procedures: license information, bonding or insurance qualifications, small business loan options, employment recruitments, and tax qualification requirements
- Work in cooperation with area business development organizations: Sarasota County Committee For Economic Development, Small Business Development Center at Manatee Community College-Venice, S.C.O.R.E. (Counselors to America's Small Business), and Career Source Suncoast.
The Better Business Department builds and maintains public confidence in Venice area businesses. It establishes the means to enable reputable and dedicated businesses to be recognized for their high professional standards and practices; and, to afford the consumer a knowledge for those companies meeting the requirements of the B.B.D.